World No 1 Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, the tournament announced on Wednesday.
“I am sorry I won’t get to see my fans in Indian Wells and play in the desert, my favourite place to go,” Djokovic said in a statement. “I hope to see you next year!”
Tournament director and former ATP pro, Tommy Haas, added: “We are disappointed that Novak will not be able to join us at the BNP Paribas Open this fall. We hope to see him back in Tennis Paradise next March to contend for a record-setting sixth title in the desert.”
The Serbian is a five-time champion at the Indian Wells Masters, having lifted the trophy in 2008, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Djokovic is still scheduled to play the ATP Finals in Turin between November 14-21 but there is no certainty over his participation there as well.
After losing the US Open final to Daniil Medvedev earlier this month, Djokovic hinted that he may skip the rest of the year.
“Let me tell you – I have no plan, absolutely nothing,” Djokovic said, as quoted by Sportklub. “I don’t know if I’m going to play anything, anywhere… I’m just here in New York right now.”