Australian tennis ace Nick Kyrgios bowed out meekly in the first round of the ATP Citi Open in Washington on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old, who won the ATP 500-level event when it was last played in 2019, lost 6-4, 6-4 to American Mackenzie McDonald.

Kyrgios appeared to lack fight in the match and his post-game comments will leave his fans worried.

“I’m disappointed,” Kyrgios told reporters. “My head’s in the shed, to be honest.”

The controversial Aussie is a six-time ATP Tour champion and known for racquet-smashing tirades and tantrums on the court.

But that was absent on Wednesday.

“I feel like I actually enjoyed my tennis more when it was so up and down. Like you see me today, like I’m losing and I’m barely getting angry,” Kyrgios said.

“I actually miss the days when I was losing and I was carrying on and I was getting fined and I was throwing my racquets.

“That just meant that I just cared a lot. I actually cared what was happening. Now I lose and I’m actually happy for the other guy.”

Kyrgios, ranked 77th, was featuring in only his fifth event of the year and since last year’s Covid-19 shutdown.

Earlier this week, Kyrgios also made odd comments, seemingly hinting at retirement.

“Like every time I’m at a tournament, I feel like it could be my last time I’m ever going to be here. In Atlanta I felt the same way,” he said.

“I don’t know. I don’t know where I’m at. I feel weird. I feel strange about my career at the moment.”

If you’re a Kyrgios fan, these comments will be unsettling as it will surely be one of the biggest wastes of talent in the sport.

His highest career ranking was world No 13 in 2016 and his best efforts at the Grand Slams were reaching the quarter-finals of the 2014 Wimbledon and 2015 Australian Open events.

He’s a better player than that and, at only 26, surely has more to offer the game.

(Picture: ATP Tour – Twitter)

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook